Hinds County Court
Location: 407 E. Pascagoula St. Jackson, MS 39205
- Subdistrict 1: Melvin V. Priester, Sr.
- Subdistrict 2: Houston J. Patton
- Subdistrict 3: William Skinner
Prosecutor: Sherry M. Flowers
Assistant County Attorneys: Sorie Tarawally, Louise Harrell Brent Hazzard, Edward O. Watson
Court Administrator: Sylvia Bennett
Phone Number: 601-968-6648
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 327 Jackson, MS 39205
Court is in Session:
- Judge Priester’s Courtroom:
- Motions – Thursdays at 9:00 am-12:00 pm
- Agreed and Uncontested Motions – Thursdays 1:30 pm-5:00 pm
- Judge Skinner’s Courtroom:
- Initial Appearances – Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 9:00 am-12:00 pm
- 1st Judicial District – 2nd Monday of each month
- 2nd Judicial District – 2nd Monday of March, June, September, & December
Hinds County Court has jurisdiction over civil cases with damages $250,000 and less as well as misdemeanor offenses. Eminent domain hearings and juvenile hearings are heard exclusively in the Hinds County Court.
The Hinds County Court coexists with the Hinds County Justice Court on both civil and criminal matters. Hinds County covers over 869 square miles and if you are accused of a misdemeanor offense, juvenile offense or a civil case up to $250,000 within this area your initial appearance will be held in Hinds County Court. The Hinds County Court also hears non-capital felony cases that are transferred to them from the Hinds County Circuit Court.
The Hinds County Constables and Police Department have the authority to make arrests that are taken to Hinds County Court. The Hinds County Sheriff’s Department and the Mississippi Highway Patrol can also make arrests in this area.
For questions about your court date or Hinds County Court procedures call the Court Administrator/Clerk. The Clerk can only answer these kinds of questions, but not any questions pertaining to legal advice, your criminal charge or what will happen if you plead guilty. For questions regarding these topics, you must contact a licensed attorney who handles matters like these on a day to day basis. The attorneys at Coxwell & Associates can assist you with questions that you may have or advice that you need.