Hinds County Circuit Court
Location: 407 E. Pascagoula St. Jackson, MS
- Subdistrict 1: Jeff Weill, Sr.
- Subdistrict 2: Tomie Green
- Subdistrict 3: Winston Kidd
- Subdistrict 4: Bill Gowan
Prosecutor: Robert Shuler Smith
Court Clerk: Barbara Dunn
- 1st Judicial District – 601-968-6628
- 2nd Judicial District – 601-857-8038
- 1st Judicial District – P.O. Box 327 Jackson, MS 39205
- 2nd Judicial District – P.O. Box 999 Raymond, MS 39154
Days Court is in Session: Monday – Friday varies by judge’s docket; jury selection typically begins on Mondays
- 1st Judicial District – 1st Monday of January, March, May, July, September, and November; consists of 8 weeks; Grand Jury meets on 6th week
- 2nd Judicial District – 4th Monday of January, July, and September
In the heart of Jackson, MS, Hinds County Circuit Court lies in Mississippi’s Seventh Judicial Court District out of the twenty-two circuit courts around Mississippi. Hinds County Circuit Court has authority over both felony criminal prosecutions and civil lawsuits. Appeals from Hinds County Court, Hinds County Justice Court, Jackson Municipal Court, and other administrative boards and commissions are also heard in Hinds County Circuit Court.
Hinds County is surrounded by Yazoo and Madison Counties to the north, Rankin County to the east, Copiah County to the south and Warren and Claiborne Counties to the west. If you are charged with a felony criminal offense or file a civil lawsuit over $250,000 your initial appearance will be held at the Hinds County Circuit Court. All appeals made from lower courts will take place at the Hinds County Circuit Court, as well.
The Hinds County Sheriff’s Department has the jurisdiction to make arrests that are taken to Hinds County Circuit Court. Other officers of the law such as the Jackson Police Department, Raymond Police Department, and Byram Police Department have the authority to make arrests as well as the Mississippi Highway Patrol.
Calling the Circuit Clerk or one of the many Deputy Clerks will help you understand the basics of your court date and other procedural matters that are handled in Hinds County Circuit Court. They are not allowed to give you legal advice, answer questions about your charge, or what happens if you plead guilty to a criminal offense, however, licensed attorneys can. The attorneys at Coxwell & Associates handle these matters on a daily basis and are available to assist you and advise you about your questions.