Those injured in an accident on property belonging to another person or entity could be entitled to file a premises liability claim against the owner of the property. Although slip and fall accidents are, by and large, the primary cause of premises liability claims, there are many other scenarios which are responsible for serious injury and may be eligible for a premises liability claim. Owners, or those in control of properties are responsible for keeping the property as safe as possible, and free of hazards which could cause injury.
If you have suffered an injury due to negligence on the part of a property owner, or the person in charge of the property, you may have a premises liability claim. The attorneys of Coxwell & Associates have helped many of those injured in such an accident receive an equitable settlement which allows them to refocus on their futures.
There are many different potential premises liability claims, however the most common include:
- Slip and falls, particularly in grocery stores, department stores, restaurants, on sidewalks and on stairs;
- Amusement park injuries—usually due to slip and falls, but sometimes due to other unsafe conditions;
- Sporting and recreational event injuries;
- Swimming pool injuries, including slip and falls, drownings, diving board injuries, electrocutions and infections;
- Injuries in parking lots or parking structures due to slip and falls, motor vehicle collisions with other cars, or specific trip hazards;
- Scaffolding injury claims, either from the worker using the scaffolding, or when a person on the sidewalk is injured by something falling from the scaffolding above;
- Equipment injuries due to malfunctions, or negligent operations;
- Injuries from a falling object, particularly in a store where inventory is stacked too high or unevenly;
- Construction site accidents, such as falling in a hole, being hit with a falling object, tripping on something in the walkway, electrocuted by exposed wiring, or hit by a heavy equipment operator;
- Dog bites;
- Electrical injuries, and
- Assaults in a nightclub, motel, or hotel parking lot as a result of inadequate security.
Damages You May Be Entitled to Collect Following Your Mississippi Premises Liability Claim
While the compensation you receive from your Jackson, Mississippi premises liability claim will, of course, depend on the circumstances surrounding your accident and the extent of your injuries, some of the damages you may be entitled to include:
- Medical expenses such as hospital charges, physician expenses, the cost of rehabilitation, prescription drug costs, and even necessary medical items such as crutches;
- Lost wages for time away from work;
- Lost future projected wages;
- Emotional distress;
- Physical pain and suffering, and
- Any damages to physical property.
Premises liability claims are extremely varied, and the injuries can range from mild to extremely serious. Slip and fall accidents often result in head injuries, bone fractures, sprains and strains, neck and back injuries, lacerations, bruises, and damage to internal organs. In some cases, injuries sustained in a premises liability injury can be extremely serious, resulting in a lifetime of pain, necessary modifications to your home and vehicle, and unwanted changes in your future. Although property owners are not required to guarantee your safety, they are required to have reasonable safety measures in place, and to warn of any known dangers.
Mississippi premises liability claims can be particularly complex. The elements of ownership, control and possession must all be considered, as well as the duty of the owner or person in control of the property. If there was an obvious failure to warn regarding a dangerous situation, and that failure to warn resulted in your injuries, you could be eligible for compensation. An experienced Coxwell & Associates attorney will work hard on your behalf to obtain the maximum compensation you are entitled to receive. We are not only knowledgeable of all the laws pertaining to Mississippi premises liability claims, we understand and have compassion for your injuries. Contact a Coxwell & Associates attorney today for a free consultation.
$144 Million Death and punitive damages
$120 Million Injuries from dangerous drugs
$20.4 Million Fraud settlement that went to Mississippians
$2.3 Million Brain injury settlement
$2.1 Million Civil rights death
$1.6 Million Fraud settlement for Mississippians
“You were made to do what you do. Know that You make a difference in lives for the better.” - Will A.
“We are so appreciative for everything you've done for us. We don't know how we would've gotten through this without your help and generosity!” - N.B.
“My family and I will always be indebted to you and your staff.” - B.W.