Reasons You Need a Workers' Compensation Lawyer
If you are a worker in the state of Mississippi, who has been injured on the job, you may be wondering whether your case could benefit from hiring a Mississippi workers’ compensation lawyer. In theory, if you are injured while at work, you report the injury, and you will receive workers’ comp benefits, including medical expenses and, if you are unable to work, a weekly check which equals approximately 60 percent of your normal paycheck. In some cases the workers’ comp system does not work as it should, and you are left having to fight for your workers’ comp benefits. There are some instances in which you should talk to a workers’ comp attorney as soon as possible following your injury. These include:
- The injuries you received from your workplace accident were severe enough to require surgery and significant medical expenses;
- Your doctor believes that, due to your moderate to severe workplace injuries, your health may never return to the condition it was before your accident;
- You are unlikely to be able to work on a regular basis in any type of job;
- You can work in some capacity, but probably not at your current job;
- You received an adverse workers’ comp decision and would like to dispute that decision;
- You feel the benefits you are currently receiving are not correct, or you feel there may be additional Mississippi workers’ comp benefits you are entitled to;
- You have been denied medical benefits despite the fact you were injured at your workplace;
- A decision made by the Mississippi workers’ comp division is being disputed by your employer, or
- You have many questions about your Mississippi worker’s comp and don’t fully understand the process. You feel your interests would be better protected with a knowledgeable legal advocate by your side.
In short, if there is any aspect of your Mississippi workers’ comp claim which is in dispute, or you sustained serious injuries, you should definitely speak to an experienced workers’ comp attorney as soon as possible.If Your Claim is Denied You Should Speak to an Attorney
Claims are sometimes denied, presumably after an investigation which determines the injury did not arise in the course of employment. Particularly in cases which include psychiatric stress, occupational exposure or unusual facts, the claim may be denied. In some instances, however, there was little investigation prior to the denial. Profiling may have been an issue, particularly if you were a new hire, young, single, low-income, or reported on Monday an injury which occurred the previous Friday. If you feel your claim has been unfairly denied, the sooner you speak to an experienced Mississippi workers’ comp attorney, the better.If Your Employer Has Been Overbearing or Intrusive Speak to an Attorney
Sometimes employers take it upon themselves to set out “rules” the employee must follow after a work-related injury. The employer may demand the employee brings a doctor’s note each week, threaten to fill the employee’s job if they don’t return to work, demand the employee come into work, even if it is just to sit at a desk and open the mail or demands to know time after time when the employee will be back to work. The employee should not have to deal with such intrusiveness on the part of the employer, and should definitely speak to a workers’ comp attorney.If Your Medical Expenses are Not Being Paid and Your Weekly Check is Late
If you have paid for your medical expenses and prescription medications, then submitted receipts for reimbursement which are not being paid, and/or if your weekly check is late, you should definitely speak to a Mississippi workers’ comp attorney. In fact, workers’ comp weekly benefit checks tend to be somewhat haphazard, however a call from an attorney can ensure they come on a more regular schedule.Contact Our Mississippi Workers Compensation Lawyers
If you are considering a workers’ comp settlement, or if your workers’ comp claim has been denied, speak to a knowledgeable Mississippi workers’ comp attorney as soon as possible. At Coxwell & Associates, PLLC, our attorneys fight aggressively for injured employees and their families – to ensure that they receive the money they need to fully recover. Contact Coxwell & Associates today at 1-601-948-1600 or 1-877-231-1600.